Almost every person reading this blog has probably used a power strip to plug in a device several times in their life, but there are some safety concerns with power strips that you might not have considered. In fact, it is quite possible that you have done some things that had the potential to start a fire in your home.

Power strips are rated for a specific wattage. This means that if you connect large appliances to a power strip, it could overheat and start a fire. The same could happen if you daisy chain power strips, multiplying the number of available connections. While there should be a fuse that will trip when the strip is overloaded, it is better not to rely on that for your safety.

It is also dangerous to cover over a power strip, running it under a mat or something similar. While there is no fan on a power strip, covering it up will not allow it to dissipate heat as needed, which can lead to overheating.

error: Content is protected !!